In Houston, we pretty much LIVE for these incredible months of pre-summer weather. Just before the heat really cranks up we get to pretend we live in California and just bask in the beautiful sunny weather. So with that said, when it’s beautiful outdoors (fingers crossed for no thunderstorms), I love to practice yoga outdoors. And this weekend, I have two opportunities to do so: tomorrow at Yoga on the Avenue and Sunday at Mind Tribe’s Vinyasa Tribe. Here are five reasons why I love practicing outdoors and why you might, too!
- Natural Heat: I usually practice in a heated studio, but when you take your flow outdoors you get heat from Mother Nature herself.
- Fresh Air: I love building the heat within my body and then getting that fresh reprise from the breeze. It always makes my breath feel even fuller and deeper! There’s also something truly magic about being in savasana and feeling the breeze gently touch your body.
- New Drishti Points: Do you ever get bored of staring at the same point on the studio wall? Yeah, me too. When practicing outdoors, you can set your gaze on all sorts of things. A palm tree, a cloud, you name it!
- A Nice Tan: Lacking some Vitamin D from sitting in an office all week? Outdoor yoga is the cure! Just remember to wear sunscreen.
- Community: Outdoor classes are often free or for a special event which means they bring people from all over to come and enjoy them. I love seeing the community together in a space larger than a studio can contain.
Have you ever practiced yoga outdoors? Why do you love it? Tell me in the comments below or just SHOW UP at one of the events linked above! I’d love to set my mat next to yours!